Monday, June 18, 2012

Activitity 1: Scientific Method/States of Water




MY HYPOTHESIS is that I believe that both hot water with and without salt will freeze more quickly than cold water with or without salt added.  MY HYPOTHESIS is that hot water will boil faster than cold water.


(Bar graph here that shows experiment data repeated 3 times; my graph would not transfer to blog site.  I will have to look into this).


Controlled variables for this experiment were:  Cold salt water and hot salt water- which one would freeze faster? 


My theory for how the behavior of matter acts with hot and cold water upon freezing is:  Hot water freezes the fastest due to the contact with freezing temperatures.  Hot water molecules evaporate quicker regardless if table salt is used in the mixture, or not leading to the O molecules releasing creating freezing water.  And hot water will boil faster than cold water due to the hot temperature already in process.  The repeated data from the experiment remained consistent with no dramatic outlying factors to be considered.


Image of an atom that make up a water molecule.















Please click the following link to watch a video that shows how water molecules are arranged in the three states of matter for water.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v12xG80KcZw


The scientific method is, as it correlates to my three repeated sessions, is based on the kinetic-molecular theory (Hill & Kolb, 2007).  Molecules are in constant motion.  Water molecules are held together by forces of attraction called a covalent bond.  As the molecules are in constant motion to remain held together after a period of time the molecules start to break down and disperse as the water becomes frozen.

The repeatability of the experiment was that the average values remained consistent.

1.      (Introduction of the science concepts are):  Practical kitchen experiment using the scientific process by exploring the states of matter for water and the chemical make-up ( H and O) and the characteristics of water.  Vocabulary:  Scientific model; hypothesis; experiment; theory.

2.      (Describe my experiment, data, and conclusion):  I used two identical, room temperature, standard ice cube trays. I filled half of each tray with table salt.  I then took tray #1 and filled it with cold water, filling each compartment equally.  I took tray #2 and filled it with hot tap water, filling each compartment equally.  As I poured the water I started at the water end while decreasing chances of salt water overflowing; however some water splashed out.  This was taken into consideration when repeat of the experiment took place. I checked the cubes after 2 1/2 hours and again after 3 hours.  The first time I could see and visualize why air bubbles remained in the cubes with the mixture of salt water.  Hot water freezes faster than cold water and adding salt doesn’t seem to matter how fast the water freezes. 

Hot water boils 30 seconds faster than cold water.   I used a measured cup of cold water in a small sauce pan, let it heat up after I turned the stove top on to High, and timed the boiling factor: 3 minutes.  I allowed the same sauce pan to recover to room temperature then added one measured cup of hot tap water.  I set the pan on the stove top and timed the boiling factor at 2 1/2 minutes.  (Then poured the mixture onto the ice cubes in the sink). 

3.  (Apply my science concepts and knowledge to a real-
world application):  In order to gain the best results in sharing documented, scientific information is to repeat an experiment several times making sure that all steps were consistent without any outlying variations; it is important to keep all measures and timings consistent otherwise a variation in outcomes may occur.  This basic kitchen experiment can be used for hands on science and math for all ages, especially for young school-aged children.  Freezing ice and boiling water are basic to our environment; important concept for living in Wisconsin : )

1 comment:

  1. Although kept simple, I am proud of my first experiment as a new blogger :)

    ReplyDelete